Savannah Red Rice

Totally snagged from Paula, but I made variations along the way. Make this the night before for best results and reheat for dinner the next night.  It just makes it that much more flavorful.



Ingredients:
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper (I don't add this as G does not like green peppers)
2 tablespoons butter/margarine/oil
1 cup diced Kielbasa (smoked sausage of some variation)
One 14.5-ounce can of crushed/diced tomatoes with juice
1 tablespoon of hot sauce, or to taste
1 cup tomato sauce (I leave this until the end to see if I need it or not)
1 cup cooked white rice**
1 teaspoon garlic powder, pepper and salt, or to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 if you are cooking that day.

In Dutch oven (I find it easier for mixing and cooking), saute onions and peppers over medium heat in butter/margarine/oil.  Add Kielbasa, heat until the mixture is slightly brown.  Add tomatoes, hot sauce and cooked rice mixture.  At this point, add tomato sauce if you would like (I depend it on my mood and the dish's outcome).  Season with garlic powder, pepper and salt to taste.

Pour mixture into greased 13 x 9 casserole dish.  Refrigerate or bake.  Either way 350 for 30 minutes and check doneness.  At this point, I add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and put it back in for 10 minutes.  If you prefer not to, I would bake through for 40-45 minutes.


**Note: Paula uses uncooked rice, but mine never cooks through enough, so I precook it with 2 chicken bouillon cubes in the rice maker.  Paula adds 3 chicken bouillon to her variation with 1 cup uncooked rice.

Comments

Popular Posts