Standard Pie Crust

I used to make this with my handy-dandy pastry cutter.  I was lazy this weekend, plus I had 2 pies to bake, so I used my Cuisinart (the light bulb went off).  Oh yeah, we are doing it that way from now on.


2 cups flour
2/3 teaspoon salt
3/4 to 1 cup Crisco Butter shortening (I use 1 cup, but play with it)
2 or 3 tablespoons of water (take a glass, fill it with ice, then water and let it set on the counter while you're putting this together.  Use a tablespoon from your silverware and measure it that way ... trust me)

Sift together flour and salt, add to Cuisinart with shortening and mix with your chopping blade (if you do by hand, work shortening into flour mix with pastry cutter or a fork) until it looks like bread crumbs.  Then add water.

When mixed, roll out on a flour board to size.  I use 2 sheets of wax paper and roll the crust out between them.  It makes it easier when you transfer it to the pie plate.

2 cups of flour equals a double-crust recipe.  Halve it for a one-crust recipe.  

Comments

Popular Posts